“Our goal is to allow the physician to prescribe medicine that fits the patient’s needs rather than fitting the patient to the medicine.”
Compounding combines an ageless art with the latest medical knowledge and state-of-the-art technology, allowing specially trained pharmacists to prepare customized medications to meet each patient’s specific needs. Compounding is fundamental to the profession of pharmacy and was a standard means of providing prescription medications before drugs began to be produced in mass quantities by pharmaceutical manufacturers. The demand for professional compounding has increased as healthcare professionals and patients realize that the limited number of strengths and dosage forms that are commercially available do not meet the needs of many patients, and that these patients often have a better response to a customized dosage form that is “just what the doctor ordered.”
Professional Pharmacy has limited compounding equipment and chemicals. Our compounding capability embraces the triad relationship of patient, physician, and pharmacist and it enables all three to work together to solve unique medical needs. Our goal is to allow the physician to prescribe medicine that fits the patient’s needs rather than fitting the patient to the medicine. This may involve:
- Preparing formulations without preservatives or dyes for a patient with allergies.
- Changing a formulation strength to meet an individual patient’s need.
- Using unique dosage forms such as lollipops, lozenges, and trans-dermal gels.
- Preparing liquid suspensions for those who cannot swallow a tablet or capsule.
- Flavoring medicine to improve its taste ( tutti-frutti, grape, cherry, vanilla, etc..).